*Makes 36 lemon drop wedges
– 6 lemons, cut in half lengthwise
– ½ cup lemon juice (from the 6 lemons)
– ½ cup water
– 3 tablespoons orange juice
– ⅓ cup granulated sugar
– 5 ½ teaspoons (2 envelopes) unflavored gelatin
– ½ cup citrus vodka
- Cut around the edges of the lemon flesh to separate it from the peel. Scoop it out into a bowl and scrape the peel clean.
- Place each clean peel into a jumbo muffin tin, or any container that will hold them upright, separate, and prevent spillage.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the lemon juice, orange juice, sugar and water.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the mixture and let it sit for 5 minutes, until the gelatin is softened.
- Heat the pan over medium heat, and stir until the sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved, about 2 to 3 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Whisk in the vodka and remove from the heat.
- To make it easier to fill the lemon halves, transfer the gelatin mixture to a large liquid measuring cup when cool enough to safely do so.
- Fill each peel up to the top.
- Transfer the tins of filled peels to the refrigerator for 6 hours, or overnight, until the gelatin is set.
- Slice each lemon half into thirds and serve.
- Squeeze the lemons for their juice before scooping out the fruit to make slicing easier.
~ Courtesy of TipHero.com